Dating back to eruptions in Jan Mayens earlier geological history, there are big lava flows everywhere around Titeltbukta. Antique and dignified fields of sharp-edged lava rocks, now covered with mosses and lichens, a fantasy world turned to stone. Gnomes and dwarves, elves and trolls, castles and turtles and all other sorts of creatures. Yes, they don’t just live in the neighbourhood in Iceland, they are also here on Jan Mayen, and they just wait for the darkness to come out … for sure! 🙂
In Titeltbukta, there was a Dutch whaling station in the 17th century. This is already indicated by the name Titeltbukta, which means 10 tent bay. The early whalers used to call their simple houses tents, and probably they looked more like tents than like houses. Nothing remains from those early days.
There is a little trapper hut, built in 1929 by Fritz Øien. The Øien brothers used to work at the weather station in those years, which then was in Jamesonbukta near Eggøya (Eldste Metten). Fritz Øien called the hut Camp Margareth after his wife, Margareth Johanne Dalsbø. It was in rather bad condition after many years out there, but it was renovated from official side in 2007.